Please take the opportunity to peruse
our bimonthly newsletter, Merger & Acquisition
which covers many issues involved in business
sales, acquisitions and mergers. You will find each
issue full of valuable information about due diligence,
business valuation, financing, buy-sell agreements,
legal requirements, tax implications, deal structure,
human resources and other aspects of these transactions.
Issue: August/September 2008
Issue: June/July 2008
- Sunny days or storm clouds? A look at what's on the M&A horizon
- Price management - Addressing an overlooked aspect of integration
- Uncover your company's key value drivers
- Ask the advisor - How is the dollar's declining value likely to affect the sale of my business?
Issue: April/May 2008
- The journey ahead - Map out succession, retirement and estate plans before you exit your business
- New accounting rules may affect your M&A deal
- Focus on the future - Anticipating acquisition success with strategic due diligence
- Ask the advisor - What is a fairness opinion and do I need one?
Issue: October/November 2008
- Improve your turnaround's forecast for long-term success
- Does your business measure up? Benchmarking financial performance
- Put your money where your mouth is....Communicating effectively with M&A stakeholders
- Ask the Advisor? How can I prepare my business for a tighter credit cycle?
Issue: February/March 2008
- What to do when a buyer backs out
- Destination: M&A success - An integration manager can help get you there
- Justifiable risk? The dangers and rewards of cross-border acquisitions
- Ask the advisor - What do I need to consider when acquiring a business in a regulated industry?
Issue: Year End 2007
- Don't let fraud derail your deal
- Buying damaged goods.....How to evaluate a distressed company's potential
- Board appeal.....Your directors can help steer you through an M&A
- Ask the advisor? Can a shareholder agreement prevent conflict among business owners?
Issue: October/November 2007
- Don't fumble your acquisition - Hidden risks could take you out of the game
- How collars can help ensure the value of your M&A deal
- Staying power - Retain customers after an acquisition
- Ask the advisor - Should a business seller always accept the highest bid?
Issue: August/September 2007
- How to retain key employees during the M&A process.
- Steer clear of purchase price adjustment disagreements.
- Leveraged recaps offer a liquidity alternative to selling.
- Ask the advisor - Should I include a go shop clause in my sale agreement?
Issue: June/July 2007
- Good deal or bad deal - Avoiding common mistakes when selling a business.
- An earnout can break your price negotiation impasse.
- Lurking dangers - Don't fail to plan for your M&A deal's tax consequences.
- Ask the Advisor - How should my company prepare for the buyer visit?
Issue: April/May 2007
- Intellectual property and due diligence - How buyers and sellers should prepare
- Use your acquisition as a tool for growth
- Dream team - Let professionals guide your M&A deal
- Ask the Advisor - What should I consider when choosing a lending partner for my acquisition?
Issue: February/March 2007
- Protecting your proprietary information - How a clean team can help.
- Will your business be ready when a buyer comes knocking?
- Distressed companies - Increase your chance of getting a fair market price.
- Ask the Advisor - What factors should my company consider before acquiring a spin-off?
Issue: Year End 2006
- Line up your financing early
- Measures that matter - How M&A professionals track the industry
- Valuing C corporation assets - A potentially contentious situation
- Ask the advisor - Is there still a distinction between strategic and financial acquirers?
Issue: August/September 2006
- Options for taking your company public.
- Drafting an effective letter of intent.
- How smart buyers view company debt and cash.
- Ask the Advisor - How can SWOT analysis be used to aid an M&A?
Issue: October/November 2006
- Lock in your financial interests - Key person insurance protection.
- After the Sale: Retirement and estate plan considerations.
- Counting cash (flow) - How buyers and sellers arrive at different valuations.
- Ask the advisor: How does the Sarbanes-Oxley Act affect my private company?
Issue: June/July 2006
- Important questions to ask before acquiring a company.
- Who's responsible for what, when? You and your advisor's role in the sale process
- Valuing a business for gift, estate, and other tax purposes.
- Ask the advisor - Why should I consider an earn-out provision?
Issue: April/May 2006
- Win - Win, Keys to negotiating a successful M&A deal
- When the market is right - Understanding economic cycles can help you time a business sale
- Is industry destiny when it comes to selling your company?
- Ask the Advisor - Aside from my company's financial results, what do prospective buyers consider important?
Issue: February/March 2006
- Securing your base - Ensure employee support after acquiring a company
- How private equity can help your business grow
- Case Study - Timeline of a successful M&A transaction
- Ask the advisor - Is it possible to sell my C corporation without paying current taxes?
Issue: 2005 Year End
- Intangible but valuable - A strong brand fosters growth, attracts buyers
- Complete the deal and save on taxes - The benefits of installment sales for C corporations
- 5 things you should know about prospective M&A advisors
- What does it mean when it's said companies are sold, not bought?
Issue: October/November 2005
- Show me the money - Sources of capital to grow your business
- What's your business worth? - It's in the eye of the beholder
- Stock ownership plans can benefit owners, and reward employees
- Ask the advisor - differences in selling a C corporation vs. an S corporation
Issue: August/September 2005
- The key to capital - Understanding how lenders & investors evaluate your company's financial ratios.
- Avoid conflicts with a shareholder agreement.
- Not-so-extreme makeover - Normalizing earnings makes your company more attractive to potential buyers.
- Ask the advisor - Moving real estate into a limited partnership.
Issue: June/July 2005
- Why a strategic divestiture might help your business flower
- Now may be the time to sell your tech company
- Attract investors with your business plan
- Ask the advisor - Acquiring a distressed company
Issue: April/May 2005
- How appraisers value closely held companies
- Timing the sale of your business
- Achieving liquidity while retaining control with a leveraged recap
- Ask the advisor - Letters of Intent
Issue: February/March 2005
- Recognize legitimate red flags during the due diligence process
- The problem with internal rate of return
- Heading off the postmerger integration blues
- Ask the advisor
- Selling your private business to a public company
- You have liquidity options besides an outright sale
- Finding alternatives to traditional financing collateral